Monday, April 30, 2012

To All the Pros I've Loved Before


That's rich, actually, because I haven't really loved any Pros. Some of them I like, kind of, but I doubt I've loved them. The title just had a “To all the girls I've loved before” kind of ring to it and I liked that. So I went with it.
BCO's Tyler Teed admires Pinnacle.

Anyway, there were really two big stories at Pinnacle in Newport, New Hampshire this weekend. First of all, there are lots of brave new Pro Open players. Second, how about those New Hampshire disc golfers? They really represented their home state and their home course quite well. Just a few days ago I had said that Edwin Bedell hadn't earned a write up yet on this website. After Pinnacle, the President himself, Chris Young, reminded me that Edwin had probably earned his write-up. So let's get too it. Pros first, though, as we always do on Circle Three.  

There was lots of off-season talk about players moving up to the Pro division or players who were too scared to do so. James Sweat backed up his pre-season announcement by stepping up. Mike Habets wrote in our comments section that he'd also step up and step up he did. Matt Marro said he was up for the challenge and Jon Moorer and Dave Carter both made morning decisions to join the big boys. Sweat, Marro, Moorer, and Carter all had very rough days, but they should be commended for what they did. Advancing to the Pro division should be something that all tournament players strive to achieve. So kudos to those guys. And you know that means a lot coming from me.

Photo: Gretchen Kruesi
The story of round 1 was Andy Powell. There's no doubt about that. He shot a very stellar, very impressive, nearly unbeatable 56. The only score better was by (sorry for the spoiler alert) Pro Open winner Mike Habets, who shot a 55. That gave Powell a first round lead of 4 strokes in his Am 1. Unfortunately, he shot a 68 on the second round, giving Edwin Bedell his first Advanced Amateur win. You'd have to check the records, but he may be the youngest player to ever record a GMDGC Advanced Amateur win. (News flash, I don't know who the youngest Am 1 winner is. Also, I don't know how old Edwin is. I'm just jumping to conclusions here. That's what we do).

So, there you go, Mr. Bedell. You've cracked into the Circle Three world. Nice shooting. I'd have to imagine Edwin's learned a lot from playing with Mike Habets. (Nice transition, right?) Habets took an early lead on the Pro Open points race (100's win) and may have players like Jeff Spring and Chris Young wondering what this year may hold. If Habets commits to the Point Series, you heard it here first, it may be hard to take him down at all this year.

On that note.

Matt Idol, can you hear me? This may be the time for you to make a commitment. There may be only one Vermonter who can take down this out-of-stater. So how about slapping on some Bachnein gear (it'd be free for you) and crushing some Pro Open players in some tournaments? Wouldn't that be fun? Wouldn't you like to keep the title in Vermont?

Penalty Strokes:

*James Beaulieu does some impressive course work. I know its not all him. Guys like Spencer Weatherholt, the other NHers I've mentioned, Thurstonian, and Nick Jennings all put in some time there. But James does the majority of things. And he does them well. So, from all of us to you, James, thank you.

*No aces in NH means there should be a big ace pot for the Sap Bucket X. Don't forget to register for it. Lots of aces could be had on that pitch and putt course. Mr. Wedel, I'm especially talking to you.

*There are so many players I was supposed to beat, that its getting hard to keep track of. I'll try my best to recap. First off, Andy beat me. Hot first round, Andy. Well played. I beat Ira, Seth, and DeVico. Was there anyone else I've started a rivalry with? I can't remember. Its getting hard to keep up. Oh, my own team mate Chris Young picked Spencer to win and I beat him too, so we'll count that. Right, and Dave Carter commented on my own site that I wouldn't beat him in 2012. And I did. By my count I'm 6-1 for my first tournament of the year.

*The Final Word goes to Rang Duce. Nice job organizing another Rang Duce Doubles. Be there or be square.   


4 comments:

  1. Too cool for sKool Idol will not become a member and have Bachnein scrambling for a new mascot.

    Habets wins NH but can he win in VT?...

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the record Edwin is only 24, and def can contribute his improvement to Mr. Habets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was 23 at the time of my 2009 Gnomes win. I choose not to comment on the rest of the garbage spewed in this particular blog post. good recap though! It was better than the garbage spewed all over pinnacle last weekend (in reference to shots i threw, not the beautiful course, good stuff pinnacle crew)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there to all, because I am truly keen of reading this
    website's post to be updated on a regular basis. It contains fastidious stuff.

    Also visit my web page ... how can i lose weight

    ReplyDelete